St. George is the unincorporated original county seat of Tucker County, West Virginia. Originally known as Fort Minear and then as Westernford, St. George was settled in 1774 by German immigrant John Minear and his son, Jonathan, after early scouting visits to the area.
In 1856, an act creating the county specified that Tucker's county court was to be held on the lands of Enoch Minear, descendant of Jonathan Minear. The town was then renamed Saint George in honor of Henry St. George Tucker, Jr. (1828-1863), the son of the county's namesake, Henry St. George Tucker, Sr. (1780-1848). On the evening of August 1, 1893, vigilantes from Parsons seeking to move the county seat broke into the courthouse and stole the county records and the courthouse bell, moving the government of Tucker County to Parsons.
St. George is located on Cheat River where it is joined by Minear Run.
Web Sites and Links
Blackwater Outdoor AdventuresOperates a general store, offers guided canoe and raft trips, and is the concessionaire for Blackwater Falls State Park.