Seabeck was a mill town in Kitsap County, Washington, USA on Hood Canal. It was founded in the 1850s by Marshall Blinn and William Adams, doing business as The Washington Mill Company. Their lumber was in such demand they built a second mill, then a shipyard to build boats to haul the lumber to California, which had high demand due to the California gold rush. Eventually, along with four saloons, the town had two general stores and two hotels. In 1876, there were over 400 people living in Seabeck. After decades of success, in the 1880s, the demand had eased, and most of the easily accessible trees had be harvested. In 1886 a spark from the ship Retriever started a fire that consumed both mills, along with other buildings. Rumors flew that the mills would not be re-built, so most residents moved to other towns with mills, notably Hadlock, Washington, turning Seabeck into a virtual ghost town.
In the early 1900s Laurence Colman and Arn Allen of Seattle formed a partnership to build a facility for YMCA and YWCA groups to hold summer conferences. In 1914 Lawrence Coleman and his brother George purchased much of the original Seabeck site. In 1936 Laurence Colman's son, Ken Colman, incorporated the conference grounds as a private, non profit corporation. He deeded to the corporation the 90 acres (360,000 mē) that now make up Seabeck Christian Conference Center, known informally as "Camp Seabeck".
There is a marina on the water across the road from the camp, and a few houses in the general vicinity, but otherwise, today it is a mostly rural area.
Web Sites and Links
Get Outdoors - Scenic Beach State ParkCamping, lodging, wilderness, directions, fees and permits.
Nature Gift StoreNature company offering gifts for your home and garden, educational toys, live animal and butterfly kits.