Luckenbach is thirteen miles from Fredericksburg, Texas in southeastern Gillespie County, part of the Texas Hill Country. It consists of ten acres between South Grape Creek (a tributary of the Pedernales River) and Snail Creek, just south of U.S. Highway 290 on both sides of Ranch Road 1376.
Its oldest building is a combination general store and saloon opened in 1849 by Minna Engel, whose father was an itinerant preacher from Germany. The community, first named Grape Creek, was later named after Minna's husband, Carl Albert Luckenbach. Luckenbach was first established as a community trading post and was one of the few that never broke a peace treaty with the Comanche Indians, with whom they bartered and traded.
Its population increased to a high of 492 in 1904, but by the 1960s, Luckenbach was almost a ghost town.
An ad in the paper offering "town — pop. 3 — for sale" led Hondo Crouch, rancher and Texas folklorist, to buy Luckenbach for $30,000 in 1970, in partnership with Kathy Morgan and Guich Koock. While modern-day Luckenbach is part of Fredericksburg, Hondo used the town's rights as a municipality to govern the dance hall as he saw fit.
Web Sites and Links
Luckenbach, TexasA hill country hamlet complete with blacksmith shop, post office, beer joint, dance hall and cotton gin.
The Luckenbach InnTraditional country bed & breakfast in the heart of the central Texas Hill Country. Just a one minute walk from Luckenbach and minutes from Fredericksburg and Stonewall.