Bullard is a town located in southern Smith County, Texas at the intersection of U.S. Highway 69 and Farm-to-Market roads 2137, 2493, and 344, about 12 miles south of Tyler. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 1,150.
Bullard was earlier known as Etna and Hewsville. The town is named for John H. and Emma Eugenia (Erwin) Bullard. In 1881, John Bullard opened the Hewsville post office in his store. In 1883 the Etna post office, near Hewsville, was closed. Then the Hewsville office was renamed Bullard. Many rural residents in northern Cherokee County are served by the Bullard post office. The bypassing of the railroad brought about the demise of Etna and the rise of Bullard.
Web Sites and Links
Bullard First United Methodist ChurchServices, staff, youth, children, ministries, events, mission statement, adult ministries, news, contact and location.
Eagle's BluffA waterfront community with golf course on Lake Palestine in East Texas. Includes information about the course, clubhouse, real estate, photos, and local information.
Handbook of Texas Online : Bullard, TXCommunity history and information.
Now Faith MinistriesIncludes worship schedule and profile of the pastor.