Westland is a city located in Wayne County, Michigan. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 86,602.
During the 1700’s, the area was inhabited by the people of a Pottawatomi Indian village. Other tribes, particularly three Algonquin tribes, used the area as hunting territory. A flour mill, which was restored by Henry Ford in 1918, was built in this same area. Once restored, the mill was used to make stencils for Ford car parts. Named Nankin Mills, this historic site is now used as a nature interpretive center and other community events.
Before becoming "Westland," the area had several other names. Though white settlers did not begin to settle the area until about 1824, they began to arrive at the beginning of the 19th century. Before 1829, the area was know as Lima and Burklin Townships. At that time, it was named Nankin, after a Chinese Province (similar to Canton, a nearby township). From this original township, Nankin was split four times, spinning off the villages of Livonia in 1853, Wayne in 1869 and Garden City in 1927. By 1960, Nankin’s populace had increased to 70,000, giving the area the distinction of being the world’s largest township. In 1966, Nankin became the city of Westland. The name "Westland" came from the Westland Shopping Mall, which had opened in the township in 1965.
Web Sites and Links
Westland Chamber of CommerceA business resource that nurtures member businesses, provides a networking forum, promotes civic activism through its committees, and is dedicated to promoting responsible business practices.
Westland: WikipediaCensus, geography, and demographic information for the city.