Dixboro is an unincorporated community in the U.S. state of Michigan, located just northeast of Ann Arbor, on the western edge of Superior Township in Washtenaw County. It was founded in 1824, by Captain John Dix, a retired sea captain. Dix purchased 450 acres of land in section 18 of what was then Township Two in the District of Detroit and Territory of Michigan. In 1827, Dix filed a plat for 60 lots around the village square. Although the community prospered and had it's own post office for many years, it never incorporated to form a municipal government. The railroad bypassed Dixboro and Ann Arbor soon quickly outpaced Dixboro.
Dixboro is situated east of the junction of Plymouth Rd. and Dixboro Rd. at 42° 18' 44? N 83° 39' 22? W (http://kvaleberg.com/extensions/mapsources/index.php?params=42_18_44_N_83_39_22_W_). The community's most notable feature is the Dixboro General Store, founded in 1840 and now claims to be one of the busiest gift and furnishings stores in Michigan.
Web Sites and Links
Dixboro Veterinary Dental and Medical CenterDr. Ben Colmery, veterinarian. Practice is devoted to companion animals where evidence based medicine is practiced. This includes both dentistry and general medicine.