De Tour Village is a village located in Chippewa County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2000 census, the village had a total population of 421.
The village is at the extreme eastern tip of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, in Detour Township, at the turning point for the shipping channel connecting the St. Mary's River with Lake Huron and the Straits of Mackinac. Drummond Island, one of the largest islands in the St. Mary's River, is only one mile across the river from De Tour.
It was originally named Warrenville in 1848 after Ebenezer Warren, the first postmaster in the township. The name was changed to De Tour on July 25, 1856, when a new postmaster, Henry A. Williams, assumed office. De Tour was incorporated as De Tour Village in 1961 (the word "Village" is a part of the village's name).
Michigan State Highway 134 runs through the village, connecting with Interstate 75 43 miles to the west and with Michigan State Highway 129 25 miles to the west, which runs north 37 miles to Sault Ste. Marie. M-134 also continues east to Drummond Island via the Drummond Island Ferry.
Web Sites and Links
De Tour Village, MichiganBusiness directory, city calendar, parks, map, lodging, schools, local government, coupons, weather, recreational activities.
De Tour Village Michigan Home Centers -- De Tour-Drummond Building CenterServes Chippewa County with building materials and custom packages for homes, garages and cottages.
DeTour School and Public LibrarySchool information, sports events, contact information.
Moosehead LodgingOn Caribou Lake. Eastern Upper Penninsula. Cabin rentals, open all year.
Moosehead ResortSnowmobile and ATV rental outfitters. Offers furnished cabins with fully equipped kitchens.
Riverbend ResortVacation rental of waterfront cottages, homes, and apartments. Includes photographs, rates, and specials.