Chevy Chase is the name of both a town and an unincorporated Census-Designated Place in Montgomery County, Maryland (see Chevy Chase (CDP), Maryland). There are also a number of villages in Montgomery County with "Chevy Chase" in their name, all of which are part of the community of Chevy Chase. This community actually spills over the Maryland-District of Columbia boundary to include a neighborhood of Washington called Chevy Chase, DC.
The area was unincorporated farmland when Senator Francis G. Newlands of Nevada and his partners began the aggressive acquisition of land in northwestern DC and southern Montgomery County. In the present day the holdings would eventually extend along Connecticut Avenue from Florida Avenue north to Jones Bridge Road. In 1890 Newlands established the Chevy Chase Land Company to develop the land as a residential streetcar suburb.
The name "Chevy Chase" was taken from one of the absorbed plots of land. Its name in turn, according to the Village of Chevy Chase's official history,
can be traced to the larger tract of land called "Cheivy Chace" that was patented to Colonel Joseph Belt from Lord Baltimore on July 10, 1725. It has historic associations to a 1388 battle between Lord Percy of England and Earl Douglas of Scotland. At issue in this "chevauchee" (a Scottish word describing a border raid) were hunting grounds or a "chace" in the Cheviot Hills of Northumberland and Otterburn.
Web Sites and Links
Chevy Chase, MarylandLocal history and web directory.
Creative Family Connections, LLCProvider of legal and surrogate search services; includes news and updates, testimonials and FAQs.
OurChevyChase.comDirectory of local businesses and organizations. Also offers local photos, neighborhood discussions, community events, and classifieds.