Fort Sheridan, Illinois was a United States Army Post named after Civil War Cavalry General Philip Sheridan, to honor his many services to Chicago.
The Commercial Club of Chicago, concerned since 1877 with the need for a military garrison, was motivated by the Haymarket Riot in 1886 to arrange for the donation of 632 acres (2.6 kmē) of land to the Federal Government for this purpose. Troops arrived in November 1887 and were used in 1894 to quell labor unrest during the Pullman Strike.
Fort Sheridan became a mobilization, training, and administrative center beginning with the Spanish-American War in 1898. During World War II, over 500,000 men and women were processed through military service. Many army officers who later became famous lived there, including George Patton and Jonathon Wainwright.
The 94 buildings in the Historic District, built between 1889 and 1910, include 64 structures that were the first major works of architects William Holabird and Martin Roche of Chicago. These earliest buildings are made of bricks molded and fired on site, using clay mined from lakefront bluffs. The water tower, originally the tallest structure in the Chicago area, was altered and shortened by 60 feet in 1940. The row of buildings flanking the tower were troop barracks. The 110 acre (450,000 mē) Historic District, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1984.Web Sites and Links
Midwest Young ArtistsA large, comprehensive youth music ensemble program. Youth and adult classes add to an array of orchestra, jazz, chamber music, and choral ensembles.