White Springs is a town located in Hamilton County, Florida, on the Suwannee River. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 819.
The White Sulphur Springs near the town were used before Europeans arrived, and in the 19th century became Florida's first tourist destination. The first purchases of land date from 1835, when Bryant and Elizabeth Sheffield bought land for a cotton plantation. The town was incorporated in 1885, and many of the original buildings still stand.
The songwriter Stephen Foster is remembered with a Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center.
Web Sites and Links
White Springs News.ComLocal news, weather, forum, and contact information.